Maria Tereza & Vasco Vilalva 2019 Award
In the 13th edition of the Maria Tereza e Vasco Vilalva Award, promoted by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, "destined to mark exemplary interventions in property assets of cultural value that encourage the preservation and recovery of Heritage", the aforementioned award was unanimously awarded by the Jury from the Gulbenkian Heritage Award to the rehabilitation of the São José dos Carpinteiros Church and the former Casa dos 24 - a project by Rebelo de Andrade Studio.
In its deliberation, the Jury decided to highlight some aspects of the excellence of the project presented:
• Respect for the integrity of the spaces object of the intervention and the functionality and creativity in the connection between the two spaces;
• The restoration of a building integrated in a neighborhood that maintains, even today, a very particular experience, symbolizing the opening of the Church and the space of Casa dos 24 to the community of which the monument is a part;
• The tenacity of the promoters, which made it possible to overcome technical, financial and logistical difficulties;
• The multidisciplinarity and high level of qualification of the team responsible for the intervention;
• The touching exhibition in homage, open to the public, to Gonçalo Ribeiro Telles, a resident of the neighborhood, who has recently disappeared.